Dirty Money & Money Laundering [Do it Naturally]

I made this suggestion on discord, and it had a lot of people who thought it was a good idea, but I think it was wiped when the channel was changed to direct people here. So I will recreate it here.

Suggestion: Make Dirty Money slightly more usable for cash purchases / exchanges.

How will it expand RP: In real life dirty money can be used at convenient stores, or for general cash exchanges. I feel like dirty money should be exchanged a bit more, and that you shouldn’t really be able to tell the difference between dirty money and real money ( at least from an RP aspect when roleplaying, maybe a rule for this one), and therefore when you’re buying something from a store, it’ll also accept dirty money. I think this could be expanded further to cars at PDM. I feel like PDM should be more cash based (with debit optional I suppose), while luxury autos should be more debit based. This basically meaning PDM cars can be purchased with dirty money in which the PDM dealer has a chance of finding out and alerting the authorities. And creating a cool dynamic between the FIB, money launderers, and people who generally use dirty money. Obviously dirty money shouldn’t be used to make LARGE purchases, but I feel like washing dirty money naturally would make more sense than the current system.

That being said, I would suggest a system when purchasing something as to how much dirty money you want to inject into the payment process (If you have dirty money in your inventory). For example a percentage of the payment that you want to pay with dirty money. Where each variation of percentage has a different risk factor to it. The less dirty money you use in this payment, the less likely you are to get caught. The more dirty money you use, the more likely you are to get caught.

All of this sounds very complex, and will likely take a lot of work from Avarian and the developers. I am fully aware of the consequences of having in depth suggestions like this being that they would either take a long time to develop, or would be something that would have to sit on the back burner for a while. Honestly though I feel like RP would benefit from having dirty money spent a bit more naturally, and washed a bit more naturally through businesses. I feel like this could really enhance the idea of corrupt businesses, and how they use their businesses to launder money, and could bring forward a lot of opportunity in city for people to RP together in order to wash money naturally.

Either way I feel like dirty money and money laundering could be handled in a bit more of an “Ozark” fashion in city. In which gangs, money launderers, businesses, and just in general criminals have to find ways to naturally wash money, or find people who can wash the money for them. This being said, expanding the RP means more people involved. So if this were ever to be implemented, you’d probably have to up the amount of dirty money you get from certain jobs in order to make it actually worth going through all the proper measures of having it cleaned, as you know the people laundering the money would take a cut, as well as the people that they likely work for (if they are affiliated with a gang).

Let me know what you guys think, I’ve been thinking on this for a while, and have even put in a ticket about something that I am personally working on to see if maybe this style of thing could work in city.

Thank you for reading, I know it was a long post.

There are a few ways that are in city and more ways that dirty money can be used in the future. The way its coded however you have to have 2 individual items for dirty money to separate what is and what isn’t. The reason its setup this way is for multiple reason but mainly to easily separate criminal vs non-criminal activity. The laundering aspect of it is just a means of conversion and “fencing” the money.

I do see your aspect of it, but I feel through current limitations we can’t really do it that way.

For future reference I might enjoy the idea of buying items with dirty money that has actual value that can be purchased by other players. This would allow “fencing” in a real aspect. Much like pawning
ill-gotten rolexs for actual money.